On this page:
I was making a lamb curry and needed a side dish to go with it. I half-remembered a recipe from Nigel Slater’s Appetite for a rice dish flavoured with aromatic spices. The spices are the kind you’d find in Asian dishes: cumin, coriander, cinnamon, star anise. I used basmati rice, which has a lovely fragrance of its own.
- 1 small saucepan with lid
- 1 fork for fluffing
- 1 dsp cooking oil
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 6 cardamoms slightly crushed
- 1 star anise
- 1 handful sultanas
- 150 ml basmati rice
- 300 ml cold water
- salt to taste
- Warm the oil in a saucepan and add all the spices.1 dsp cooking oil, 1 stick cinnamon, 6 cloves, 6 cardamoms, 1 star anise
- When you can smell the aroma of the spices, add the rice and stir well to coat in the scented oil.150 ml basmati rice
- Add the water, sultanas and salt.1 handful sultanas, 300 ml cold water, salt
- Cover and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for ten minutes. Do not remove the lid.
- Turn the heat off and leave the pan alone for another ten minutes. Do not remove the lid or move the pan.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork, removing the spices, if you don’t want to be fishing them out when you’re eating.
I served this with: